US News


(NEW YORK) -- Tropical Storm Isaias is buffeting New York State and western New England with heavy rain and wind as it moves northeastward toward the Great Lakes, bringing the threat of tornadoes to southern and central New England.

In its path up the East Coast, the storm has battered New Jersey, New York, Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania with heavy rain, flooding, tornadoes and rough winds.

One person in Maryland, one in New York and two others in North Carolina have died as a result of the storm.

As of Tuesday evening, more than 3.3 million customers were without power across North Carolina, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont and Rhode Island.

At least 21 tornadoes were reported from North Carolina to New Jersey.

Here is the latest:

New Jersey, Pennsylvania

Long Beach Island on New Jersey reported a wind gust of 109 mph.

Wind gusts reached 66 mph in Atlantic City.

New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy declared a statewide state of emergency.

"Do not be on the roads unless absolutely necessary," he tweeted.

New Jersey Transit has been suspended.

By Tuesday morning, the streets in Philadelphia suburb Bryn Mawr looked like a river.


Sotterley, Maryland, is buried under nine inches of rain, while Prince Frederick, Maryland, saw 8.42 inches of rainfall.

In coastal St. Mary's County, Maryland, a driver was killed Tuesday morning when a massive tree fell on the car, according to the county sheriff's office.

At Maryland's Charles County-Prince George's County line, two drivers were rescued after their cars were swept off a flooded road, Maryland State Police said.

One driver was taken to the hospital, police said.

New York

New York City was battered by torrential rain and gusty winds.

In New York City's harbor, wind gusts reached 72 mph.

A man was killed in the New York City borough of Queens when a downed tree crushed his car, ABC New York station WABC reported.

Only underground subways were operating Tuesday afternoon. Outdoor stations were closed due to high winds.

The Long Island Railroad suspended service systemwide due to high winds. The Metro-North train line also suspended some service.

Carolinas, Virginia

Isaias made landfall in North Carolina as a Category 1 hurricane around 11 p.m. Monday, lashing the coastline and leaving a trail of damage in its wake.

At least two people in North Carolina have died, according to ABC Raleigh station WTVD.

"All in all, this storm got in, got out pretty quickly and that’s a good sign for potential river flooding which we hope will not be serious," North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper told "Good Morning America" Tuesday. "The damage was not in any way as great as it could have been."

In South Carolina, storm surge caused streets to turn to rivers, homes to flood and cars to end up buried under sand.

As Isaias moved north, multiple homes were damaged by downed trees in Suffolk, Virginia, city officials said.

What's next

At 4 p.m. the bulk of the torrential rain and high winds moved through upstate New York and New England.

The tornado threat will be ending in the New York City area but will be ongoing for parts of southern New England through the evening.

By 7 p.m. the heavy rain and winds will be hitting upstate New York, Vermont and New Hampshire.

By 11 p.m. Isaias will head into Canada, leaving lingering rain and wind in Maine.

Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved


Ovidiu Dugulan/iStockBy MORGAN WINSOR, ABC News

(NEW YORK) -- A pandemic of the novel coronavirus has now killed more than 695,000 people worldwide.

Over 18.3 million people across the globe have been diagnosed with COVID-19, the disease caused by the new respiratory virus, according to data compiled by the Center for Systems Science and Engineering at Johns Hopkins University. The actual numbers are believed to be much higher due to testing shortages, many unreported cases and suspicions that some national governments are hiding or downplaying the scope of their outbreaks.

Since the first cases were detected in China in December, the United States has become the worst-affected country, with more than 4.7 million diagnosed cases and at least 155,942 deaths.

Here's how the news is developing today. All times Eastern. Please refresh this page for updates.

6:05 p.m.: Louisiana to extend bar closures, mask mandate

Louisiana bars will remain closed for on-site consumption, and a statewide mask mandate will remain in effect through Aug. 28, Gov. John Bel Edwards announced Tuesday.

Crowd sizes will also still be limited to no more than 50 people.

This is the second time the governor has extended the measures, which went into effect on July 13 and were set to end on Friday. Edwards plans to sign a new executive order this week extending the order another 21 days due to "high COVID incidence."

“Louisiana is beginning to see the positive impact of the mask mandate in its COVID-19 data, including a decline in the number of people who are reporting to emergency rooms with COVID-like symptoms, decreasing new cases across the state and declining or plateauing hospitalizations in many regions of our state," Edwards said in a statement. "Still, every single one of our 64 parishes has high COVID incidence."

Louisiana leads the U.S. in cases per capita, according to state data. There are 124,461 confirmed cases.

4:23 p.m.: Mississippi governor issues mask mandate, pushes school back for some students

Mississippi Gov. Tate Reeves on Tuesday said everyone in the state must wear a mask at public gatherings and when shopping, the Mississippi Clarion Ledger reported. The executive order will last for two weeks, the newspaper said.

Workers from Servpro disinfect Mugshots restaurant in Tupelo, Miss., July 17, 2020, as the restaurant is preparing to open for business.

The governor on Tuesday also said he's issuing an executive order to delay in-person learning in eight hot spot counties for students in 7th grade and above, reported NBC Jackson affiliate WLBT.

Fifty-one districts are set to begin school this week, WLBT said. Masks will be required for students and teachers, according to WLBT.

3:15 p.m.: Rafael Nadal says he won't play US Open

Rafael Nadal has announced that he will not seek to defend his title at the U.S. Open this month because of concerns surrounding COVID-19.

He wrote on Instagram, "The situation is very complicated worldwide, the COVID-19 cases are increasing, it looks like we still don’t have control of it."  

The U.S. Tennis Association announced Tuesday that Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer will be among the players who will compete for the grand slam title.

Djokovic was a vocal critic of the US Open bubble calling the conditions "extreme." But in recent weeks, a European tournament he hosted came under fire after some players contracted COVID-19 and videos surfaced of parties showing a lack of social distancing.

The U.S. Open begins Aug. 31 in Flushing, New York.

1:30 p.m.: Indianapolis 500 to take place without fans

This year's Indianapolis 500 will take place on Aug. 23 without fans, Indianapolis Motor Speedway said Tuesday.

"As dedicated as we were to running the race this year with 25 percent attendance at our large outdoor facility, even with meaningful and careful precautions implemented by the city and state, the COVID-19 trends in Marion County and Indiana have worsened," Indianapolis Motor Speedway said in a statement. "Since our June 26 announcement, the number of cases in Marion County has tripled while the positivity rate has doubled."

"We said from the beginning of the pandemic we would put the health and safety of our community first, and while hosting spectators at a limited capacity with our robust plan in place was appropriate in late June, it is not the right path forward based on the current environment," the statement said.

1:03 p.m.: Birx says US is making progress but deaths likely to rise for next 2 weeks

On a weekly call with governors and Vice President Mike Pence, White House coronavirus response coordinator Dr. Deborah Birx said "test-positivity is going down" but the U.S. will still likely see a rise in deaths over the next two weeks.

Birx urged governors who are battling outbreaks “to not let your citizens get discouraged that they're not seeing progress," according to an audio recording of the Monday meeting obtained by ABC News.

"Because you are seeing progress," Birx continued, "it’s just the whole [cycle] takes about six to eight weeks to move through that increased test positivity, increased cases, and then increasing mortality.”

Birx called out the success of Arizona’s actions on masks and bars that helped pull the state back from the brink.

Birx and Pence both said that states in the heartland -- particularly Missouri and Tennessee -- still have time to avoid a crisis.

12:15 p.m.: Connecticut, New York, New Jersey add Rhode Island to travel quarantine list

Connecticut, New York and New Jersey have added Rhode Island to their travel quarantine list, Connecticut Gov. Ned Lamont announced Tuesday.

Delaware and Washington, D.C., have been removed from the list, Lamont said.

New York, New Jersey and Connecticut have a travel advisory in place for states with a positive test rate higher than 10 per 100,000 residents over a week average, or any state with 10% of higher positivity rate over a week average. Travelers arriving in the Tri-state area from those states must quarantine for two weeks.

Over two dozen states are on the list.

11:37 a.m.: NYC health commissioner resigns following clashes with mayor

New York City's health commissioner, Dr. Oxiris Barbot, submitted her resignation Tuesday morning to Mayor Bill de Blasio, who immediately named a replacement as the city continues its battle against the novel coronavirus.

In her resignation letter, Barbot criticized the de Blasio administration’s handling of the city's outbreak.

"I leave my post today with deep disappointment that during the most critical public health crisis in our lifetime, that the Health Department’s incomparable disease control expertise was not used to the degree it could have been," wrote Barbot, who served as commissioner since 2018. "Our experts are world renowned for their epidemiology, surveillance and response work. The city would be well served by having them at the strategic center of the response not in the background."

The city's new health commissioner is Dr. Dave Chokshi, a Rhodes Scholar who served at the Louisiana Department of Health during Hurricane Katrina. He was also a principal health adviser to the secretary of Veterans Affairs in the Obama administration and was a practicing physician at Bellevue Hospital in Manhattan.

10:54 a.m.: 45 Florida hospitals have reached ICU capacity, data shows

The intensive care units of at least 45 Florida hospitals have reached capacity and don't have any free beds, according to data released Tuesday by Florida's Agency for Health Care Administration.

The data also shows 39 Florida hospitals with just one ICU bed available. Two Florida counties, Jackson and Nassau, have zero ICU beds available in their hospitals.

Meanwhile, the percentage of adult ICU beds available statewide was 16.5%, according to the data.

The Sunshine State has emerged as a major new hot spot in the novel coronavirus outbreak in the United States, with confirmed cases recently eclipsing New York and now second only to California.

The Florida Department of Health recorded 5,446 new cases of COVID-19 on Monday, bringing the statewide count to 497,330. There were also an additional 245 coronavirus-related deaths, making the total 7,524.

The number of coronavirus-related hospitalizations in the state was up 586 from the previous day.

7:42 a.m.: 'We have to take this seriously,' FDA commissioner says

The head of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration said Tuesday that the novel coronavirus outbreak is still not under control, as he urged Americans to "take this seriously."

"This virus is still with us, and it is around the country and we're seeing these cases come not just in the United States but around the world," FDA Commissioner Stephen Hahn told ABC News chief anchor George Stephanopoulos in an interview on Good Morning America.

"That's really the message we want the American people to know, that we have to take this seriously," he added. "We need to get these case numbers down."

Hahn called on Americans to continue practicing the "common sense public health measures" to prevent the further spread of the virus, including frequent hand washing and social distancing.

"These measures appear to be working in the areas that are hotspots," he said.

When asked whether political considerations will be at play when the FDA takes on the role of determining whether a vaccine is both safe and effective, Hahn said they "will make that decision based upon the science and the data from the clinical trials that are going."

"The science and data are really going to guide this decision and nothing else," he added.

The FDA has the ability to authorize emergency use of a vaccine before the normal approval process is completed. Hahn said the agency will "expeditiously" review the data from the clinical trials as soon as its available, "whether we use the emergency use authorization path or the regular approval path."

"Both are available to us, but our rigorous standards that we will use the safety and efficacy will be done," he said.

The FDA will also tap a vaccine advisory committee, which Hahn said is "a standard approach."

"We will be using that to help us make this decision," he noted. "These are outside experts from around the country."

6:12 a.m. UN chief warns of 'generational catastrophe' amid school closures

School closures due to the coronavirus pandemic in over 160 countries in mid-July affected more than one billion students, United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said Tuesday.

Meanwhile, at least 40 million children have missed out on education "in their critical pre-school year," according to Guterres, who warned that the world faces "a generational catastrophe that could waste untold human potential, undermine decades of progress, and exacerbate entrenched inequalities."

The U.N. chief urged schools to reopen once the local transmission of the novel coronavirus is under control.

"We are at a defining moment for the world’s children and young people," Guterres said in a video message Tuesday. "The decisions that governments and partners take now will have lasting impact on hundreds of millions of young people, and on the development prospects of countries for decades to come."

5:05 a.m.: Russia reports lowest daily increase in cases since April

Russia reported 5,159 new cases of COVID-19 on Monday, its lowest day-to-day increase since April 23.

The country's coronavirus response headquarters also recorded 144 additional coronavirus-related deaths over the past 24 hours. Meanwhile, another 7,878 patients had recovered from the disease.

Overall, Russia has reported 861,423 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 14,351 deaths since the start of the pandemic.

The country has the fourth-highest number of diagnosed cases in the world, according to a count kept by Johns Hopkins University.

3:24 a.m.: US records under 50,000 new cases for second straight day

More than 45,000 new cases of COVID-19 were identified in the United States on Monday, according to a count kept by Johns Hopkins University.

It's the second straight day that the daily caseload is under 50,000 -- a low that the country hasn't seen for weeks. The latest day-to-day increase is also down from the country's peak of 77,000 new cases, identified on July 16.

A total of 4,717,568 people in the United States have been diagnosed with COVID-19 since the pandemic began, and at least 155,469 of them have died, according to Johns Hopkins. The cases include people from all 50 U.S. states, Washington, D.C., and other U.S. territories as well as repatriated citizens.

By May 20, all U.S. states had begun lifting stay-at-home orders and other restrictions put in place to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus. The day-to-day increase in the country's cases then hovered around 20,000 for a couple of weeks before shooting back up and crossing 70,000 for the first time in mid-July.

Many states have seen a rise in infections in recent weeks, with some -- including Arizona, California and Florida -- reporting daily records.

However, an internal memo from the Federal Emergency Management Agency shows an 8.8% decrease in new cases across the United States over the last week compared with the previous week.

That same seven-day span saw a 24% increase in deaths, according to the memo obtained by ABC News.

Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.


strickke/iStockBy ELLA TORRES and ASHLEY RIEGLE, ABC News

(ST. ANTHONY, Idaho) -- Preliminary hearings resumed Tuesday for Chad Daybell, who is charged in the case of two Idaho children found dead in June after a monthslong search.

Daybell's wife, Lori Vallow, who is the mother of the children, Tylee Ryan and JJ Vallow, has also been charged.

The hearings began Monday and included harrowing testimonies from detectives who found the bodies of Tylee and JJ on Daybell's property on June 9, including that JJ had been found with duct tape around arms, feet and head, which was inside a black plastic bag. Tylee's remains were found in a melted green bucket, detectives said.

Tuesday's hearings offered a glimpse of Daybell and Vallow's relationship.

Melanie Gibb, a friend of the two, testified that Vallow was a very "convincing and persuasive" person. Gibb also said that Vallow and Daybell were infatuated with one another.

Gibb admitted on the stand that she lied to police in late November about the whereabouts of JJ.

"I told him that I had him and that I didn’t have him," she said.

Gibb testified Monday about a phone call she had with Vallow in December -- about three months after the children were last seen.

She asked where the children are, specifically asking about JJ, according to audio of the call which was played in court.

Vallow replies saying she had to move him and was "keeping him protected."

A phone call between Vallow and Daybell was also played in court. The call took place when authorities were searching the house, according to Daybell on the phone.

"Are they seizing stuff again?" Vallow can be heard asking, to which Daybell replies: "They have search warrants and stuff."

The phone call ends with the two saying "I love you."

Detective Ray Dennis Hermosillo testified Monday, offering gruesome details about the discovery of JJ and Tylee's bodies.

Hermosillo said that about two hours after the search began, detectives marked off an area at Daybell's home where there was a "recognizable deceased body smell."

Hermosillo said that sod was removed from the area and a black plastic bag, as well as a melted green bucket, were found.

The bag contained a round object that was protruding through the dirt, which was later determined to be the skull of JJ, according to Hermosillo.

JJ had been wearing red pajamas and black socks, and a white and blue blanket had been placed on top of him, Hermosillo said.

He was also found with a "large amount" of duct tape covering his head, arms and feet, according to Hermosillo.

The charred remains of Tylee were found in the melted green bucket, Hermosillo said.

Both remains were found about six to eight inches under the sod. The grandparents of JJ were seen in court weeping during the gruesome testimony.

Daybell, 51, was charged with two felony counts of destruction, alteration or concealment of evidence after the remains were found on his property.

Vallow, whose preliminary hearing is scheduled for Aug. 10, is facing two felony counts of desertion and nonsupport of dependent children and one misdemeanor count each of resisting and obstructing an officer, solicitation of a crime and contempt. She was arrested back in February.

Both have maintained their innocence.

Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.


Patrick Smith/Getty ImagesBy KARMA ALLEN, ABC News

(LOUISVILLE, Ky.) -- Louisville's top police officers walked out of a committee hearing on Monday, refusing to answer questions amid an ongoing investigation into the city's handling of the case of Breonna Taylor, a young Black medical worker who was fatally shot by plainclothes officers.

Louisville Metro Police Chief Rob Schroeder and the city's chief of public safety Amy Hess left the hearing without answering queries from city lawmakers on Monday, citing a pending lawsuit against the police department and the city.

The officials had agreed to testify before the Government Oversight and Audit Committee about the city's response to ongoing protests over Taylor's death.

It was the first scheduled hearing related to the Metro Council's investigation into Mayor Greg Fischer's administration and its handling of the large-scale protests that followed the 26-year-old woman's death.

Attorneys for Schroeder and Hess argued that they couldn't answer the questions due to a federal lawsuit filed Thursday by the American Civil Liberties Union of Kentucky and the NAACP. It names Schroeder, Mayor Fischer, Louisville metro government and the police department among the defendants.

"If we're compelled to proceed today and we're here voluntarily and prepared to proceed, the law requires it be done in closed session," David Gaurnieri, an attorney for Hess, said.

Schroeder's attorney, Joey Klausing, made a similar argument, saying a testimony in open court this early on in the case could jeopardize the officers' defense.

"He [Schroeder] has been named in a 47-page civil rights lawsuit, which I haven't even had the opportunity to talk to him about," Klausing said, noting that the suit came in late Thursday night. "He's not just been named in his official capacity. He's been named in his individual capacity as well."

"To have him be compelled to testify here today would be in contradiction to the statutes that have been promulgated by our legislature," he added.

The four-hour hearing was supposed to focus on how the police department handled protests in the wake of Taylor's death in March, but the attorneys claimed there was too much overlap between the topics on the hearing agenda and those mentioned in the excessive use of force lawsuit.

After their departure, council members voted 10-1 to issue subpoenas to compel the officials to testify.

Taylor's death on March 13 sent shock waves around the country. Louisville police officers had executed a no-knock search warrant and used a battering ram to forcefully enter the young woman's apartment.

Taylor and her boyfriend, Kenneth Walker, got out of bed around midnight when they heard a commotion outside. After a short exchange with police, Walker fired his gun in self-defense, saying he thought his home was being broken into, according to police.

The plainclothes officers returned gunfire, firing several shots and fatally hitting Taylor, police said.

It was later revealed that the police had been looking for two men who they believed were selling drugs out of a house located near Taylor’s home. Police obtained a no-knock warrant to search Taylor’s apartment because they had reason to believe the men had used her apartment to receive packages.

One of the officers, Brett Hankison, was fired in June amid intense pressure from the public. Jon Mattingly and Myles Cosgrove, the other officers involved, were placed on administrative reassignment, but civil rights activists say all three men should be charged.

Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.



(NEW YORK) -- Dr. Oxiris Barbot resigned as New York City's health commissioner, saying in her resignation letter that "the Health Department's incomparable disease control expertise was not used to the degree it could have been."

"I leave my post today with deep disappointment that during the most critical public health crisis in our lifetime, that the Health Department's incomparable disease control expertise was not used to the degree it could have been," her resignation letter said, taking aim at Mayor Bill de Blasio's administration.

Her replacement was immediately announced as Dr. Dave Chokshi, a Rhodes Scholar who served at the Louisiana Department of Health during Hurricane Katrina and was the principal health adviser to the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in the Obama administration.

In a letter to her staff announcing her departure, Barbot described her rise to NYC health chief.

"I am proud that as a woman of color raised in public housing in this city, I always put public health, racial equity and the well-being of the city I love first," she wrote. "My commitment to this city and to public health is unwavering."

Barbot's resignation comes after de Blasio stripped control of the city's COVID-19 contact tracing program from the health department, which has historically handled tracing. The mayor instead placed the program under Health and Hospitals, the agency that runs the city's public hospitals.

In recent weeks, the city's contract tracing program has come under fire after complaints from contact tracers about the program being disorganized and having poor working conditions.

Barbot also butted heads with NYPD Police Chief Terence Monahan when he asked for more face masks for his officers in March, according to the New York Post. Following the incident, which was widely reported in the media, Barbot disappeared from public view for days -- at the height of the coronavirus outbreak in New York City.

Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.



(NEW YORK) -- Tropical Storm Isaias made landfall in southern North Carolina late Monday night, buffeting the coast with heavy winds and rain.

Isaias weakened from a hurricane to a tropical storm at approximately 3 a.m. Tuesday morning and it made landfall near Ocean Isle Beach, with maximum sustained winds of 85 mph.

Over half a million customers are without power across North Carolina and Virginia as of 6:45 a.m. Tuesday morning: 372,604 in North Carolina, and 136,005 in Virginia. The total number of people affected by the power outages is estimated to be much more since these numbers reflect the number of customers without power and not people -- a customer could have multiple people in a household.

In Brunswick County, North Carolina, emergency crews were responding to several fires and there were reports of possible tornadoes, officials said.

Isaias approached the coast as a tropical storm with winds of 74 mph, but picked up speed as it slammed into the coastline.

Strong winds ripped through Apache Pier in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, while rough waves and high water battered North Carolina's Oak Island.

The storm has caused flooding and damaged homes as it batters coastal towns in North and South Carolina.

Officials ordered residents in affected areas to shelter in place and not leave their homes, especially in light of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

Myrtle Beach Emergency Manager Bruce Arnel said emergency support personnel were taking every COVID-19 precaution in responding to the storm.

"We're prepared, but it is challenging in this COVID environment to do anything like this," he told ABC News.

North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper also urged residents to stay inside and warned them to be mindful of downed trees and power lines.

The last hurricane to make landfall in North Carolina was Hurricane Dorian in 2019. The last hurricane to make landfall in South Carolina was Hurricane Matthew in 2016.

Tropical storm alerts stretch all the way up to New England, as Isaias is now expected to weaken as it makes its way up the East Coast.

The storm is forecast to bring torrential rain, flash flooding and storm surge up the coast, as well as dangerous winds to the Northeast.

Isaias will reach the Mid-Atlantic by early morning Tuesday and the Northeast by Tuesday night.

More than six inches of rain are forecast for the Mid-Atlantic.

The heaviest rainfall is expected to hit along the Interstate 95 corridor from Washington, D.C., to Philadelphia and New York City.

Damaging winds are also forecast for New Jersey, New York City and Long Island.

Late Monday night, New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy declared a state of emergency for the Garden State, effective 5 a.m. Tuesday.

Rip currents and storm surge are expected at the Jersey Shore, Murphy warned on Monday, recommending that residents stay inside on Tuesday.

Wind gusts at the shore may climb over 70 mph, which officials said could cause widespread power outages.

New York City is expected to get hit by tropical-storm force winds, storm surge and several inches of rain, city officials said.

Lower Manhattan is particularly vulnerable to storm surge, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said Monday. Emergency management crews are deploying flood protection measures, he said.

"We are not taking any chances at all," de Blasio said.

Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.



(NEW YORK) -- A malfunctioning automobile exhaust appears to be the cause of the massive Apple Fire that has scorched 26,450 acres in Riverside County, California, and was only 5% contained as of Monday morning.

The blaze, which has destroyed at least one home and two outbuildings, began shortly before 5 p.m. local time on Friday in the Cherry Valley area.

No injuries have been reported, according to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection.

Based on eyewitness accounts and supporting evidence, officials said they determined the cause of the fire to be a malfunctioning diesel-fueled car that had emitted burning carbon from its exhaust system.

Over 8,000 people were forced to evacuate their homes, which posed a particular challenge for families seeking a safe place to stay amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

"We had a lot of trouble finding a place to stay last night, because of so many people being evacuated at the same time," Ket Sengchan told ABC News about evacuating with her young daughter. "Me and the baby kinda stayed in the car last night. I should be at home. I shouldn't have to be running the streets looking for somewhere to sleep."

Nearly 2,600 homes were affected by the evacuation orders, fire officials said, adding they do not have a time frame for repopulating evacuated areas, according to ABC News Los Angeles station KABC-TV.

People at the evacuation center are subject to COVID-19 testing before entering, according to fire department spokesperson Fernando Herrera.

The American Red Cross was also assisting evacuees by temporarily housing them in hotels.

California Office of Emergency Services said the Federal Emergency Management Agency approved a request from the Cal OES director and Gov. Gavin Newsom on Sunday for a Fire Management Assistance Grant for the Apple Fire. Officials said the approval "will ensure the availability of vital resources" for Riverside and San Bernardino Counties.

More than 2,200 firefighters were deployed to battle the flames both in the air and on the ground and crews dropped 19,000 gallons of flame retardant from helicopters on Saturday to help create containment lines and protect personnel on the ground, KABC reported. The northern and eastern edges of the fire are in steep, rugged hillsides not accessible to firefighting vehicles, officials said.

The National Weather Service said that the Southwest part of California has been elevated to critical fire weather conditions "due to hot temperatures, very low humidities, and locally gusty winds."

Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.


CHP-Morongo Basin/FacebookBy KARMA ALLEN, ABC News

(NEW YORK) -- Authorities are asking for the public's help in locating a missing California mom who vanished after leaving for what she called a "pandemic road trip," according to her family.

Erika Lloyd, 37 of Walnut Creek, California, disappeared more than a month ago, after embarking on a seven-hour drive to Joshua Tree National Park on June 14. Family members said they lost contact with her two days later.

Authorities located her black Honda Accord, abandoned and damaged, that same day near Twentynine Palms, a city located in the southern Mojave Desert, about 500 miles from her hometown and not far from her vacation destination.

The front and back windshields of Lloyd's car were broken, but police said there were no signs of foul play at the scene.

"We both feel like that she could still be out here, she could be with people, somebody could have taken her in," her father, Wayne Lloyd, told ABC affiliate KESQ-TV. "We are hopeful as of this time the sheriff's department hasn't seen anything negative."

Nathan Lewis, a ranger at the Joshua Tree park where the vehicle was found, said it's unclear if Lloyd had camped there before she disappeared.

"When the vehicle was noticed inside of the campgrounds there was no camping equipment directly associated with or in the vicinity of it," Lewis told KESQ. "So we can't confirm or deny that the individual camped or stayed in the park."

They said she took the trip to help get her mind off the ongoing pandemic.

"She seemed like she was fine," her mother, Ruth Lloyd, told KESQ. "Being in lockdown for almost three months not being able to work and she was trying to home school her son, it was starting to get to her, the pressure and not having any income."

She said she fears that her daughter may have gotten into an accident and became disoriented.

"We don't know if she had some memory loss when she got hit by the airbag," Ruth Lloyd said. "Maybe she doesn't know who she is, we don't know, we aren't sure about her mental state."

Ruth Lloyd said she's been helping to care for her daughter's 12-year-old son, who hasn't stopped asking about her since she left.

"Are you calling about my mom? Are you talking to people? Wayne would say, 'Yeah, we are trying to find your mom.' So he misses her," Ruth Lloyd said. "We know we are not the only family that has gone through this."

The family said it's working with Doug Billings, a cave and mine expert, who helped locate the body of 19-year-old Erin Corwin in a mine near Joshua Tree in 2014.

"In this case, I know the area particularly from the Erin Corwin search," said Doug Billings. "But it's the same general area, just a little less isolated than Erin's case."

"We hiked up and down the washes and canyons that are at the foothill of the mountains there," he added.

Police said anyone with information on Lloyd's whereabouts should contact the Walnut Creek Police Department or the Morongo Basin California Highway Patrol office, which is investigating the case.

Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.


Myriam Borzee/iStockBy JON HAWORTH and EMILY SHAPIRO, ABC News

(NEW YORK) -- A pandemic of the novel coronavirus has now killed more than 690,000 people worldwide.

Over 18.1 million people across the globe have been diagnosed with COVID-19, the disease caused by the new respiratory virus, according to data compiled by the Center for Systems Science and Engineering at Johns Hopkins University. The actual numbers are believed to be much higher due to testing shortages, many unreported cases and suspicions that some national governments are hiding or downplaying the scope of their outbreaks.

Since the first cases were detected in China in December, the United States has become the worst-affected country, with more than 4.6 million diagnosed cases and at least 155,191 deaths.

Here's how the news developed on Monday. All times Eastern:

9:57 p.m.: New cases are down but death rate is up, FEMA says

The last week has seen an 8.8% decrease in new cases in the United States compared with the previous week, according to an internal Federal Emergency Management Agency
memo obtained by ABC News.

However the same seven-day span saw a 24% increase in deaths, the memo said.

There were 7,925 COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. during the period of July 26 to Aug. 2, according to the document.

The national positivity rate was 7.9% for the last week, down from 8.6% for the prior seven-day period, FEMA said.

4:20 p.m.: White House requiring staff to participate in random testing

The White House is now requiring random testing of those in the President's Executive Office staff, a screening procedure that had been voluntary, a White House official said Monday.

"As part of our ongoing efforts to protect the health and safety of the entire White House Complex, randomized testing of Executive Office of the President staff, which has been ongoing for several months, will become mandatory rather than voluntary," the official said.

President Donald Trump has said he is tested several times a week for coronavirus. The White House also tests people who are expected to be in close proximity to the president.

Rep. Louie Gohmert, R-Texas, who had planned to ride on Air Force One to Texas with the president, recently tested positive at a White House pre-screening for the virus.

4 p.m.: Detroit Tigers - St. Louis Cardinals games postponed due to positive tests

A four-game series set for this week between the Detroit Tigers and St. Louis Cardinals has been postponed after 13 Cardinals members tested positive for COVID-19 in the last week, Major League Baseball said Monday.

The 13 include seven players and six staff members, MLB said.

Players on the Cardinals have been quarantining since Thursday and will continue to be tested daily, the MLB said.

The Cardinals are tentatively still set to play the Chicago Cubs in St. Louis on Friday, the league said.

2:20 p.m.: New indoor gathering rules announced in New Jersey

In New Jersey, the rate of transmission continues to climb.

The rate of transmission now stands at 1.48. One month ago it was 0.87, Gov. Phil Murphy said Monday.

Part of the increase is attributable to the number of indoor house parties this summer, he said. New restrictions on indoor gatherings will be implemented, he added.

Indoor groups will now be limited to 25% of a room’s capacity with a maximum of 25 people. This won't apply to weddings, funerals, memorial services and religious services.

New Jersey has over 182,000 coronavirus cases. At least 13,971 people in the state have died.  

1:25 p.m.: Hospitalizations reach new low in New York

In New York, which was once the U.S. epicenter of the pandemic, hospitalizations, ICU patients and intubations have all reached new lows, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Monday.

The number of hospitalizations in the state has fallen to 536. The number of coronavirus patients in ICUs is at a new low of 136, while the number of intubations is at the record low of 62, the governor said.

Cuomo called New York's progress "even better than we expected."

"We started reopening May 15," Cuomo said. "Since the reopening, the numbers continued to go down. No expert predicted that. So New Yorkers are doing better than anyone else even expected."

12:30 p.m.: White House considers unilateral action as coronavirus relief package appears deadlocked in Congress

While millions of Americans who lost their jobs in shutdowns are waiting for an extension to federal unemployment benefits, a deal appears deadlocked in Congress.

The Trump administration is also considering taking unilateral action on a coronavirus relief package if no deal is reached with Congress, a senior White House official confirmed to ABC News Monday.

"Unilateral action is certainly an option if the democrats continue to find a plethora of ways to say no to reasonable options," the official said.

It's unclear what unilateral steps the White House could take without Congress.

12 p.m.: WHO points to Vietnam as example of how to combat the pandemic

The coronavirus "has two dangerous combinations: it moves fast and at the same time, it's a killer," Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, director general of the World Health Organization (WHO), said Monday.

Tedros said the effects of the pandemic will be felt "for decades to come."

Maria Van Kerkhove, the WHO's COVID-19 technical lead, on Monday pointed to Vietnam as an example of a country that is "applying the public health tools that can bring these outbreaks under control."

"Vietnam has a lot of experience in dealing with infectious disease outbreaks and what they're doing is applying the tools," Van Kerkhove said. "They're acting fast, they're acting comprehensively, and, again, they have the system in place that can bring these outbreaks under control."

People observe social distancing while waiting to be tested at a makeshift rapid testing centre in Hanoi on Aug. 1, 2020, as Vietnam records a rise in cases of COVID-19.

"They're not doing just one thing -- they're doing it all," she continued. "They're bringing everything together on active case finding, contact tracing, the use of public health measures, testing, communicating. And this is what we need to see from all countries."

11:18 a.m.: Florida has 4 counties with no available ICU beds

In hard-hit Florida, 46 hospitals have no open ICU beds and 26 hospitals have just one available ICU bed, according to the state's Agency for Healthcare Administration.

In four counties -- Jackson, Monroe, Nassau, Okeechobee -- no ICU beds were available as of Monday morning, the agency said.

These numbers are expected to fluctuate throughout the day as hospitals and medical centers provide updates.

10:30 a.m.: NYC outdoor dining to return in 2021

With the success of New York City's outdoor dining during the pandemic, Mayor Bill de Blasio said Monday that open restaurants will return next summer, starting June 1, 2021.

Open restaurants may be extended to spring 2021, he said.

9:30 a.m.: Cases reported on football team as school gets ready to open

As North Paulding High School near Atlanta gears up to open for the school year, "new positive tests and potential symptoms" have been reported among football players, school principal Gabe Carmona said Sunday in a letter to families.

Football practices have been canceled, Carmona said.

School begins Monday with both in-class and virtual learning options, reported ABC Atlanta affiliate WSB.

5:01 a.m.: Thousands take part in Moscow half-marathon amid mass events ban

Moscow hosted a half-marathon with over 16,000 participants on Sunday.

"Many marathons have been canceled abroad and we are showing to the whole world how to continue living as normal in very tough conditions," Russian Sports Minister Oleg Matitsyn said at the event's opening.

He said the event was to celebrate victory over coronavirus.

On Sunday morning, city authorities said 664 new coronavirus infections were diagnosed in the city. The number of daily cases had been declining but consistently remains above 600 per day.

On Wednesday, Moscow's mayor, Sergey Sobyanin, said all mass events were banned in the city until Aug. 16, even though that announcement did not affect the half-marathon event.

4:49 a.m.: Kosovo PM tests positive for COVID-19

Kosovo’s Prime Minister Avdullah Hoti said late Sunday he has tested positive for COVID-19, though he does not have serious symptoms.

Hoti, who has only been in office since June, wrote in a post on his official Facebook page that he does not have symptoms “except a very mild cough,” and will self-isolate for two weeks while working from home.

3:15 a.m.: Arrests after illicit party boat with 170 guests cruises around New York City

The owners and captain of The Liberty Belle, a large riverboat that can fit up to 600 guests with four bars and three outdoor decks, have been arrested after flouting the rules and hosting a party in New York City on Saturday with more than 170 guests on board.

Ronny Vargas and Alex Suazo, the boat's owners, were arrested on Saturday night and accused of violating a number of state law provisions.

"Deputy Sheriffs intercept the Liberty Belle at Pier 36 & arrest owners and captain for illegal party: violation of social distancing provisions of the Mayor's and Governor's Emergency Orders, Alcohol Beverage Control Law: unlicensed bar & bottle club & Navigation Law," the Sheriff's Office said in a statement.

The Sheriff's Office also said that the captain of the boat, who was not identified, was issued a summons for not displaying its identification number.

This comes just a week after New York's governor Andrew Cuomo slammed an event where The Chainsmokers were performing at a packed concert in the Hamptons, which saw audience members clustering together and outright defying social distancing guidelines.

Cuomo blasted The Chainsmokers last Tuesday saying the performance was "grossly disrespectful to fellow New Yorkers" considering how hard the state fought to control the spread of COVID-19.

"The concert that happened in the town of Southampton was just a gross violation of not only the public health rules, it was a gross violation of common sense," the governor fumed during his daily press conference regarding the novel coronavirus.

The Chainsmokers and those involved in the show now face potential civil or criminal repercussions, with the governor saying that violations of "public health law has civil fines and a potential for criminal liability, so we’re taking that very seriously."

1:38 a.m.: Lord & Taylor files for bankruptcy as retail collapses pile up

Lord & Taylor has become the latest retailer to file for bankruptcy as the coronavirus pandemic has wreaked havoc on retail chains and sales around the country.

The company filed for bankruptcy protection in the Eastern Court of Virginia on Sunday.

"Today, we announced or search for a new owner who believes in our legacy and values," the company said in a statement on its website. "Part of our announcement also includes filing for Chapter 11 protection to overcome the unprecedented strain the COVID-19 pandemic has placed on our business."

Just last year Lord & Taylor sold its flagship building on New York City's Fifth Avenue after more than a century in the 11-story building.

"Thank you for your support, now more than ever," the statement continued. "Our mission is to continue to serve you, your family and your community for generations to come."

ABC News' Libby Cathey, Katherine Faulders, Will Gretsky, Dragana Jovanovic, Alina Lobzina, Ben Siegel, Megan Stone, Christine Theodorou, J. Gabriel Ware and Scott Withers contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.



(NEW YORK) -- As many as 20 people were injured when three hot air balloons crashed in Wyoming Monday morning.

According to a Federal Aviation Administration spokesperson, each balloon "landed hard under unknown circumstances" shortly after 8 a.m. local time in Teton Village, near Jackson in western Wyoming.

Teton County Sheriff Matt Carr told ABC affiliate KIFI-TV that emergency responders were treating between 16 and 20 people for a wide range of injuries. No deaths have been reported.

A local hospital confirmed to ABC News that as of mid-afternoon Monday it had received 10 people involved in the crashes. Two were admitted, three were still being evaluated and five were treated and released, the hospital said.

Passenger Clinton Phillips was visiting Wyoming from Austin, Texas, with his wife and three children, and said a hot air balloon ride was on their "bucket list." The family was in the largest balloon that crashed and saw the other two balloons hit the ground first, Phillips told ABC News.

The winds were "pushing up hard sideways," he said, and the second balloon was "getting tossed around" before it crashed and tipped over.

"While we were so busy looking at that, we didn't realize that we were coming down," Phillips said. "Our pilot hadn't said anything, and I turned around and looked and I shouted, 'Brace for impact!'"

"People were screaming for their lives and sobbing," he said. "It was horrific."

Phillips said that one of his daughters fainted in the ordeal, he believes his son has a concussion, and that his wife's ribs are "very likely" broken. She was one of over 20 people, he estimated, who went to a hospital. One person was airlifted, he said.

"I was in tears, just so relieved that everybody was OK and not dead," he said.

The FAA and National Transportation Safety Board are investigating the crashes. They may have been weather-related, Carr told KIFI-TV.

ABC News' Amanda Maile contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.


iStock/niratBy: IVAN PEREIRA, ABC News

(RICHMOND, Va.) -- The legal battle over the future of the Robert E. Lee statue in Richmond, Virginia, had two major developments on Monday.

Judge W. Reilly Merchant dismissed a case filed by one resident who is blocking Gov. Ralph Northam's June 4 order to remove the statue from Monument Avenue. He also granted an injunction on a second suit that’s aiming to keep the Confederate statue in place.

In the first case, the resident, who is a great-grandson of one of the statue's land donors, contended that the state didn't have the legal authority to remove the statue of the Confederate leader. Judge Merchant ruled the plaintiff's claims "fail as a matter of law."

"The plaintiff has articulated no substantial legal right sufficient for the court to create a declaratory judgment," Merchant wrote in his ruling.

Meanwhile, another lawsuit filed against Northam's order continues to play out in the courts. Merchant ordered a 90-day injunction on Monday against the removal while residents of Monument Avenue make their case against the governor's order.

"The fact obviates the need for the court to address the remaining...counts," the judge's order said.

A spokeswoman for Virginia Attorney General Mark Herring's office said in a statement that he filed a motion to dismiss that suit.

"Attorney General Herring remains committed to ensuring this divisive, antiquated relic is removed as soon as possible," the spokeswoman said in a statement.

The statue's removal is among the monuments to Confederate leaders that have come under extra scrutiny following the Black Lives Matter protests. Statues and other monuments around Virginia have been removed over the last few months, including busts from inside the state Capitol.

A descendant of Robert E. Lee told ABC News he supports the removal, calling it a "no-brainer." And Lee himself opposed statues to Confederate leaders. “I think it wiser,” he wrote in 1869, “…not to keep open the sores of war but to follow the examples of those nations who endeavored to obliterate the marks of civil strife, to commit to oblivion the feelings engendered.”

The statue's opponents have held rallies outside the statue since the end of May and on several occasions projected images of Black figures, including the late Rep. John Lewis, on the statue to decry racism.

Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.



(NEW YORK) -- Officials say social distancing was not being enforced on the Liberty Bell and the boat did not have a license to serve alcohol.

New York City officials shut down a party boat with more than 170 people aboard, as the city strives to keep the coronavirus at bay.

Ronny Vargas and Alex Suazo, the owners of the Liberty Belle, were arrested Saturday night for violating the state's ban on large crowds and for running a bar without a license, the New York City's Sheriff's Office said. The office also said that the captain of the boat, who was not identified, was issued a summons for not displaying its identification number.

Manhattan Borough President Gale Brewer said she alerted the sheriff after receiving complaints from residents who observed the boat out in the waters of Manhattan and were concerned about the large crowd.

Brewer noted on Twitter on Sunday that the city, which was once the epicenter of the pandemic, recorded no COVID-19 deaths that day.

"If we want to see MORE days with zero deaths and if we want a return to a life WITHOUT social distancing, that means we need to avoid reckless behavior like booze cruises that put fellow New Yorkers at risk, no matter how much we miss our friends and meeting new people," she tweeted.

Empire Cruises, the company that runs the Liberty Belle, didn't immediately return messages for comment. The boat owners were given a summons to appear in court for their violation.

Empire Cruises touts that the Liberty Belle, which is a classicly styled riverboat, can fit a maximum of 600 guests standing and has "four ample decks including three indoor decks and three outdoor decks," according to Empire Cruise's website.

The incident marks the latest in a series of crackdowns of large-scale gatherings and parties instituted by state and city officials in the last few weeks. Under Gov. Andrew Cuomo's COVID-19 executive order, crowds of non-essential workers are capped at 50 people at indoor events.

On Sunday alone, the State Liquor Authority issued violations for 24 city establishments that violated the social distancing guidelines, according to the New York Governor's office.

The state is also investigating several large parties and concerts including the July 25 outdoor charity concert in the Hamptons that drew an estimated 2,000 people.

New York City has had 222,330 total coronavirus cases and 18,915 confirmed COVID-19 deaths as of Aug. 2, according to the city's Health Department.

The seven-day average of newly reported cases in the city was 281 as of Aug. 2 compared to the peak seven-day average of 5,426 on April 15, according to the Health Department.

Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.


filo/iStockBy JON HAWORTH, ABC News

(ST. LOUIS) -- Catch up on the developing stories making headlines.

A 27-day-old elephant with developmental impairments that limited his ability to feed since he was born has died at the St. Louis Zoo.

The male Asian elephant calf named Avi was born to his mother, named Rani, on July 6 but after intensive care efforts and life support measures, including assistance with feedings and continuous intravenous treatments, the zoo’s elephant care team made the decision to humanely euthanize the baby elephant after the calf’s already compromised health deteriorated rapidly over the previous two days.

"Everyone here is just devastated right now," said Jeffrey P. Bonner, Ph.D. and Dana Brown, the president and CEO of the Saint Louis Zoo in a statement on the zoo’s website. "Our team of professional elephant care experts did everything possible to help improve the calf's health. Unfortunately, in the end, it just wasn't enough as his health complications were too severe."

The Elephant Care Team said they had prepared for his arrival for almost three years and decided to name him Avi -- which means "the sun and air” -- during that period.

"The animal care team who worked so closely with this calf every day of his short life, and all those who loved him, are understandably grieving," said vice president of animal collections at the Saint Louis Zoo. Luis Padilla, "Avi will be missed, but never forgotten."

Padilla continued: "The community followed Rani’s journey from pregnancy to birth and provided support and positive thoughts for the calf and the Elephant Care Team when they learned of the calf's developmental and health impairments. The outpouring of support that we have received from the community has been incredible. I know everyone joins us in our sense of loss, and that helps our team get through these difficult times.”

According to the St. Louis Zoo, there are fewer than 35,000 Asian elephants left in the wild and they face extinction due to challenges like poaching for ivory and habitat destruction.

The zoo said that Avi was Rani’s third baby and that she has previously given birth to Jade in 2007 and Kenzi in 2011, although Kenzi passed away at the age of seven in 2018. The father, 27-year-old Raja, was the first ever Asian elephant born at the St. Louis Zoo in 1992.

“An elephant pregnancy lasts about 22 months and a newborn weighs about 250-350 pounds,” the zoo’s statement read. “Rani received regular prenatal health checkups by the zoo's elephant care team throughout her pregnancy.”

The veterinary team at the zoo have confirmed that they will now conduct a full necropsy on Avi and that the results will be available in several weeks.

Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.


Brett Carlsen/Getty ImagesBy MARK HANRAHAN, ABC News

(NEW YORK) -- The U.S. Navy SEALS have announced an investigation into a video showing a man wearing a Colin Kaepernick jersey being attacked by dogs at a demonstration at a Florida museum with links to several former SEALs.

The first video shows a man in protective clothing and a Kaepernick jersey being bitten by SEAL attack dogs as part of a demonstration in front of a crowd of spectators.

Another video of the same event shows men in military clothing performing a mock capture of the man after the dogs have been removed. As he lies on the ground, he says “Oh man, I’ll stand,” eliciting laughter from the watching crowd.

The videos were originally shared on Instagram in January 2020, but went viral in the first weekend of August.

In a statement on their official Twitter account, the U.S. Navy SEALs said: "The inherent message of this video is completely inconsistent with the values and ethos of Naval Special Warfare and the U.S. Navy.”

The statement added that the SEALs are investigating the incident and that “initial indications” were that there were no active duty Navy personnel or equipment involved in the display.

The event depicted in the videos took place at the Navy Seal Museum in Fort Pierce, Florida. The museum is not officially affiliated with the SEALs or the U.S. military, but it lists several retired SEALs on its board of directors and advisory board.

The dog demonstration incident is not the only one associated with the museum and Kaepernick's protests. Video of the museum's 33rd Annual Muster event in November 2018, showed a mock military engagement in which an SUV with "Take a knee," and "Nike" painted in large letters on the side was a target.

Nike hired Kaepernick to appear in a commercial after he had stopped playing in the NFL and also released a Kaepernick-branded shoe.

The clip, embedded below, shows a group enter the display area in the vehicle, before they are subject to a mock assault by men in military fatigues, one of whom is seen carrying an American flag on his back. In the video, the car appears at around the two minute 24 second mark.

The mock soldiers proceed to fire their weapons at the car, and the people who arrived in it lie down, acting as though they had been shot.

Kaepernick played six seasons as a quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers, but has not played in the NFL since 2016, when he began kneeling during the national anthem to protest racial injustice.

Kaepernick and other players who chose to protest during the anthem attracted criticism with many, including President Donald Trump, who said that players who did not stand for the anthem “shouldn’t be in the country.”

The NFL subsequently brought in a rule banning players from kneeling on the field during the anthem.

In the wake of the nationwide racial injustice protests sparked by the death of George Floyd, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell admitted that the league had been wrong not to listen to its players about racism.

"We, the National Football League, admit we were wrong for not listening to NFL players earlier and encourage all players to speak out and peacefully protest. We, the National Football League, believe that black lives matter," he said in a video statement, reported by ESPN.

Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.


Esther Salas/YouTubeBy JON HAWORTH, ABC News

(NEW YORK) -- Judge Esther Salas has released a nine-minute videotaped statement about last month’s shooting death of her son and the wounding of her husband, and it's the first time she has spoken publicly since the shooting two weeks ago.

In the remarks, Salas said the gunman had targeted her because of her position as a federal judge.

“Two weeks ago, my life as I knew it changed in an instant, and my family will never be the same,” Salas began. “A madman, who I believe was targeting me because of my position as a federal judge, came to my house.”

She goes on to say that her family had just finished a weekend celebration in honor of her son’s 20th birthday and that he had asked her and her husband about hosting a party for a few of his Catholic University of America friends.

Salas, holding back tears, begins to detail the harrowing incident.

“Daniel and I went downstairs to the basement and we were chatting, as we always do. And Daniel said 'Mom, let’s keep talking, I love talking to you, Mom.' It was at that exact moment that the doorbell rang, and Daniel looked at me and said, ‘Who is that?’ And before I could say a word, he sprinted upstairs. Within seconds, I heard the sound of bullets and someone screaming, ‘No!’” she recalled.

Salas said that her son Daniel protected his father and he took the shooter’s first bullet directly to the chest before the man, later identified as Roy Den Hollander, turned his attention to her husband and shot him three times: one bullet entering his right chest, the other his left abdomen, and the last one in the right forearm.

“We are living every parent’s worst nightmare -- making preparations to bury our only child, Daniel,” Salas continued. “My family has experienced a pain that no one should ever have to endure.”

The judge then pivots, saying that federal judges’ addresses and other information is readily available on the internet and that there are companies selling personal data that can be “leveraged for nefarious purposes,” she says.

“In my case, this monster knew where I lived and what church we attended and had a complete dossier on me and my family,” said Salas. “At the moment there is nothing we can do to stop it, and that is unacceptable.”

The gunman, Roy Den Hollander, died by suicide. When he was found in Sullivan County, New York, about two hours north of the judge’s home, authorities discovered the names of several other people they believe he wanted to target, including at least one other judge.

She continues: “My son’s death cannot be in vain, which is why I am begging those in power to do something to help my brothers and sisters on the bench. Now, more than ever, we need to identify a solution that keeps the lives of federal judges private. I know this is a complicated issue, and I don’t pretend to know or have all answers, but together we can find a way. Let’s commence a national dialogue, let’s work collaboratively to find a solution that will safeguard the privacy of federal judges.”

Salas concludes the video by thanking everybody who has supported her and her family in the weeks after the tragedy.

“To everyone who reached out, and to everyone who said a prayer, and to everyone who is keeping my family in your thoughts -- thank you. The outpouring of love has been overwhelming and I can tell you it has lifted us during our darkest hours. I just want to say thank you to you all and I love you,” she says.

Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.