US News
Subscribe To This Feed

tirc83/iStock(DALLAS) -- A gunman opened fire outside a federal courthouse in Dallas Monday morning, but no one aside from the gunman appeared to be injured in the incident, police said.

Police responded to what they called an active shooter incident at the Earle Cabell federal courthouse in downtown Dallas at 8:50 a.m.

"There has been an exchange of gunfire between a suspect and federal officers," the Dallas Police Department wrote in a post on Twitter. "The suspect was shot and transported to an area hospital. No officers or citizens injured."

The federal courthouse and nearby El Centro College were immediately placed on lockdown, according to ABC affiliate WFAA.

The FBI, U.S. Marshals and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms responded to the scene, WFAA reported.

This is a breaking news story. Please check back for updates.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

grandriver/iStock(WEST DES MOINES, Iowa) -- A family of four was found dead in an Iowa home from apparent gunshot wounds, officials said.

The bodies of Chandrasekhar "Chandra" Sunkara -- an IT employee with the Iowa Department of Public Safety -- and his wife and two sons were found Saturday morning in their West Des Moines home, according to the Department of Public Safety.

The two children, who have not been named, were ages 15 and 10, according to the West Des Moines Police Department.

Relatives had been visiting at the time, according to police, and when the bodies were found, one of the family members ran outside to find help.

The victims suffered from an apparent gunshot wound and all were pronounced dead at the scene, according to police.

"Our hearts and prayers go out to the family and friends of the Sunkaras," the Department of Public Safety said in a statement on Sunday.

Additional information was not immediately available.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images(NEW YORK) --  Gloria Vanderbilt, mother to CNN anchor Anderson Cooper and member of the storied Vanderbilt family, has died at 95 years old.

Cooper confirmed his mother's death on air on CNN, saying she died at home surrounded by family and friends. He said his mother was diagnosed with advanced cancer in her stomach earlier this month, and it had spread.

This is a breaking news story. Please check back for updates.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

TheaDesign/iStock(PHILADELPHIA) -- One person is dead and five others were shot at a graduation party Sunday night in Philadelphia.

The victims include three boys, ages 15, 16 and 17, a 16-year-old girl and two men, ages 21 and 24. Earlier, police reported eight total people had been shot, not six.

The teens all were shot in their legs and last listed in stable condition, while the 21-year-old was shot in his arm and also listed as stable, police said.

The 24-year-old man was shot in his back and pronounced dead at the hospital. He has not been identified.

Several unrelated shootings happened around the same time, police said, and other gunshot victims at the hospital had been linked to this shooting.

Authorities are investigating further and are still in search of a suspect. No motive has been determined. No arrests have been made.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

NRedmond/iStock(BALD HEAD ISLAND, N.C.) -- An 8-year-old boy was attacked by a shark while swimming off the North Carolina coast on Sunday afternoon, officials said.

The boy, whose name was not released, was in the water just off Bald Head Island when he was bitten on the leg, Village Manager Chris McCall said in a statement.

Village officials said they determined the boy was bitten by a shark based on an assessment by first responders and the wounds he sustained. The size and type of shark are unknown.

The boy suffered puncture wounds to the leg that were not considered life-threatening. He was transported off the island by ferry and taken to a local area hospital, officials said.

This is the third shark attack off the North Carolina coast in the last month.

Paige Winter, 17, was rushed to the hospital after she was attacked in Atlantic Beach on June 2. Her left leg was amputated at her thigh, and she lost two fingers.

On June 11, Austin Reed was bitten at around 2 p.m. while surfing in waters off Ocean Isle Beach, located along the southern portion of the state’s coastline. Emergency workers said he sustained a bite to the soft tissue area of his right foot.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

ABC News(NEW YORK) -- Over the weekend, at least 20 tornadoes were reported in eight states -- North Dakota, Minnesota, Missouri, Indiana, Texas, Oklahoma, Iowa and Illinois -- as much of the U.S. braces for a wet, stormy week ahead.

A region stretching from the Plains to the Northeast could see local rainfalls of 4 total inches this week, which comes on the heels of five tornadoes in Indiana and half a foot of rain in southern Texas, which experienced flash flooding.

Heavy rain is expected from this storm system, with flood alerts Monday morning stretching from Illinois to New Jersey.

Severe storms are likely Monday from the Plains into the mid-Atlantic, including damaging wind, hail and heavy rain for cities including Washington and Philadelphia.

Some areas in the eastern half of the U.S. this week could see half a foot of rain, leading to more flooding.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Obtained by ABC News(PHOENIX) -- An Arizona police chief said she has apologized to a black couple arrested on suspicion of shoplifting after cell phone videos surfaced showing one police officer threatening to shoot a father as other officers point guns at his pregnant fiancee and their young children.

"Every time I look at that video, it's extremely unsettling," Phoenix Police Chief Jeri Williams said in an interview with ABC affiliate station KNXV-TV in Phoenix on Sunday. "It's not in keeping with what I expect from our employees."

The chief's statement came just days after a $10 million notice of claim, which is a precursor to a lawsuit, was sent to the city of Phoenix on behalf of Dravon Ames, 22, and his fiancee, Iesha Harper, 24, the couple seen in the videos being arrested by Phoenix police last month.

"It's troubling," Williams said of the incident. "It's challenging and definitely not representative of the 2,900 officers we have in Phoenix."

The episode unfolded on May 27, when Phoenix officers responded to a report of a shoplifting incident at a Family Dollar store.

When the officers arrived at the store to investigate, a clerk told them about an unrelated shoplifting incident that had just occurred and were directed to three adults and two young children getting into a car in the parking lot, Williams said.

An officer ran out and tried to speak to the occupants of the car, yelling orders for the driver to stop, but the car kept going, Williams said.

The driver stopped and let out a passenger, a woman who had warrants out for her arrest, the chief said. She was taken into custody.

Officers then caught up to the vehicle suspected in the shoplifting at a nearby apartment complex. That's when the incident quickly escalated and witnesses pulled out cell phones and started recording.

In one video, an officer can be heard yelling at Ames to get his hands up. The officer, identified by Phoenix police officials as Officer Christopher Meyer, is then heard yelling at Ames, "I'm gonna put a f------- cap in your f------- head."

A second video of the incident shows Ames on the pavement outside his car with the same officer, Meyer, on top of him and placing him in handcuffs. The officer, according to the video, then yanks Ames off the ground and pushes him against a patrol vehicle before sweep-kicking Ames' legs apart, causing him to almost fall down.

"When I tell you do something, you f------ do it!" Meyer is heard in the video yelling at Ames.

Ames responded that he was complying and then told Meyer, "I'm sorry."

Both videos show other officers pointing guns at Ames' car, where Harper, who is pregnant, was in the backseat with her two daughters, a 1-year-old and a 4-year-old.

When the officers yelled at Harper to get out of the car, she told them, "I have two kids." One officer responds, "I don't give a s---, put your hands up."

Harper got out of the car holding her 1-year-old. An officer charged up and attempted to pull the toddler from her arms, according to the video. A neighbor intervened and agreed to take the children, which police allowed before arresting Harper.

The videos surfaced online last week, and Chief Williams posted them on Facebook on Friday.

The officers involved in the incident were not wearing body cameras.

Williams immediately ordered an investigation and placed Meyer and the other officers involved in the incident on desk duty. The names of the other officers were not released.

"I, like many others am sick over what I have seen in the video depicting Phoenix police interacting with a family and young children," Phoenix Mayor Kate Gallego said in a statement. "There is no situation in which this behavior is ever close to acceptable. As a mother myself, seeing these children placed in such a terrifying situation is beyond upsetting."

Gallego has called for a community meeting on Tuesday to discuss the incident.

While police said Ames confessed to stealing a pair of underwear from the Family Dollar and Harper said her 4-year-old daughter took a doll from the store without her knowledge, no charges were filed against the couple because the store manager declined to press charges.

On Wednesday, the couple's attorney, Tom Horne, a former Arizona attorney general, filed a notice of claim with the city on behalf of Ames, Harper and their two children.

In the letter, Horne said the couple never resisted the officers and attempted to comply with their orders.

"The police officers committed battery, unlawful imprisonment, false arrest, infliction of emotional distress, and violation of civil rights," Horne wrote in the letter.

"This case can settle for $2.5 million for each of the four claimants or a total of $10 million," Horne wrote.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

vzwer/iStock(MEBANE, N.C.) -- An 11-year-old boy, who was home alone when three people broke into his family's North Carolina residence, turned the tables on the alleged criminals when he got ahold of a machete and whacked one of them in the head, officials said.

But now the boy's family is demanding answers from the Orange County, North Carolina, Sheriff's Office about how the alleged home invader slipped out of their grasp when he walked away from a hospital after being treated for injuries caused in the confrontation with young Braydon Smith, who authorities described as a local youth baseball star and a "very tough kid."

"It was infuriating," Braydon's mother, Kaitlin Johnson, told ABC station WTVD in Durham, North Carolina. "This guy that could have killed my child..."

The suspect, Jataveon Dashawn Hall, 19, was arrested just after 1 p.m. on Sunday in Burlington, North Carolina, more than 40 hours after he was spotted on surveillance video walking out of the University of North Carolina Medical Center in Chapel Hill with his head heavily bandaged and wearing a hospital gown, authorities said.

The terrifying ordeal occurred about 11 a.m. Friday, when Braydon was alone in his home in Mebane, North Carolina, about 20 miles northwest of Chapel Hill.

Johnson, who lives in another state, was on the phone with her son when someone knocked on the front door of the Mebane house. Johnson told WTVD that she heard one of the intruders say the house was empty.

Sheriff's officials said that when the alleged robbers entered the house they discovered Braydon alone. Hall allegedly picked up a pellet gun he found in the house, took Braydon's phone and forced the boy into a bedroom closet before he and his accomplices allegedly proceeded to ransack the residence, according to a statement released by the sheriff's office.

"The juvenile, who is a star baseball player on several area teams, left the closet and was able to gain access to a machete. He entered the living room behind the intruder, swung the machete, and struck the man in the back of the head," the statement reads.

Hall responded by kicking the boy in the stomach and knocking him against a couch, authorities said. But Braydon quickly scrambled to his feet and charged after Hall again, swinging the machete but missing.

"The intruder then kicked the child in the side of the head and turned to grab several items, including a television and a PlayStation. At this point, the intruder realized he was bleeding significantly from the machete strike. He dropped the electronics, exited the residence, and all three suspects fled the home," according to the sheriff's office.

Johnson said she managed to hear about 12 minutes of the confrontation on her phone, then called a relative in North Carolina, who in turn called 911.

"It was horrifying. There's no other way to put it," Johnson said of hearing the confrontation on the phone. "I didn't know that he [Braydon] would be OK."

Sheriff's deputies raced to the home and found Braydon safe. They quickly put out an all-points bulletin and alerted local hospitals to be on the lookout for the wounded suspect.

“Not only did this youngster thwart the larceny attempt, he created blood evidence that very well may lead to a conviction in this case,” Sheriff Charles Blackwood told reporters on Friday before Hall escaped. "This is a very tough kid who kept his wits about him. At the same time, I want to reflect that this youngster, his family, and indeed this community, are very lucky this event did not have a tragic ending for the child.”

Hall showed up at the UNC Hospital in Hillsborough about 1 p.m. on Friday. Hospital staff treated him for a gash on the back of his head and alerted the sheriff's office, hospital spokesman Phil Bridges said in a statement.

When Hall's condition worsened, he was transferred to the UNC Medical Center in Chapel Hill for further treatment.

"This patient was admitted to the ED [Emergency Department], but was in the legal custody of the Orange County Sheriff's Department which did not place an officer with him," Bridges said. "In similar situations, hospital staff will often alert law enforcement personnel when a suspect patient is discharged, but they remain the legal responsibility of law enforcement.

"It is the responsibility of law enforcement to closely monitor the status of suspects in their custody while those patients are receiving medical treatment," Bridges added. "UNC Hospitals personnel are working with the Sheriff's Department to offer them assistance in this matter."

The sheriff's office said in a statement on Sunday prior to Hall's arrest that it notified the hospital police to alert them prior to discharging Hall. Deputies planned to "pick Hall up and take him before a magistrate where warrants would be served," according to the sheriff's department statement.

But Hall allegedly walked out of the hospital at 8:23 p.m., and vanished.

Sheriff Blackwood said in a statement on Sunday that his agency wasn't notified that Hall left the hospital until 6:26 a.m. on Saturday. He said a nurse wrote on Hall's medical chart that he left the hospital against medical advice, but apparently never told hospital police.

Blackwood said Hall, according to a hospital police officer, told the nurse he "needed to leave because the police were going to be looking for him."

"I am concerned about the amount of misinformation I am reading regarding this case," Blackwell said in his statement. "First of all, Jataveon Hall was never in the custody of our office."

He said that when his agency was initially alerted that Hall was at the Hillsborough hospital, no warrant had been issued for him at that time.

"Hall was only a suspect and there was no legal authority to hold him in custody," Blackwell said.

Later Friday, a magistrate issued multiple warrants stemming from the break-in, charging Hall with breaking and entering, second-degree kidnapping, interfering with emergency communications, and assault on a child younger than 12.

The other two suspects have not been arrested, and investigators are trying to identify them.

Braydon's aunt, Ashley Matthews, told WTVD that no one seems to be taking responsibility for Hall's escape.

"Who is responsible for allowing this criminal to walk out of UNC Hospital?" Matthews said. "We want to know who it is, and we want somebody to take responsibility."

Chief Deputy Jamison Sykes defended his agency, echoing Sheriff Blackwood's statement that the agency was never told Hall left the hospital until hours after he departed.

“Our agency is very concerned about the events in this case. Effective immediately, we will institute policy changes necessary to protect the public in situations like this," Sykes said in a statement. "We expected to be notified prior to Hall’s discharge. When Hall left the hospital Friday evening against medical advice, we certainly should have been notified. But most concerning of all is that hospital police did not even know Hall had left the premises almost ten hours prior. Indeed, Hall's absence was only discovered when we placed a phone call to them."

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Lansing Police Department(LANSING, Mich.) -- A Michigan police department has released body camera footage that appears to show an officer striking a 16-year-old runaway they were apprehending to return to a youth center.

Officers from the Lansing Police Department were called on Friday morning after emergency dispatchers received a 911 call from a resident asking police to pick up two teens who had escaped from an in-county youth center, Lansing Police Chief Mike Yankowski told reporters during a news conference on Friday.

The teens, a 16-year-old girl and a 15-year-old boy, were being housed at the center for probation violations, and police had warrants to re-detain them, Yankowski said. Officers had been looking for them in the same area the day before, Yankowski said.

When officers arrived to the neighborhood, they spotted two people who matched the teens' descriptions who "took off running" once the officers identified themselves, Yankowski said.

Body camera footage from officer Bailey Ueberroth begins as he chases the 16-year-old girl through a residential neighborhood in Lansing. After Ueberroth handcuffs her, they walk together back to his patrol car, and she begins shouting at people on the street before slipping out of her handcuffs.

Another officer then comes to assist re-securing the handcuffs as the teen and Ueberroth struggle on the ground, the video shows, and the teen continues to yell at the onlookers on the street.

"I didn't put my hands on her," she screams in frustration. "You called the police for no reason."

The teen then falls to the ground, causing the officers to carry her back to the patrol car by her legs and arms, the video shows.

Once she was placed in the backseat, she extended her right leg to prevent the officers from closing the car door.

 PHOTO: Body camera footage from the Lansing Police Department shows an officer striking a 16-year-old girl who had escaped from a youth home on probation violation charges on Friday, June 14, 2019. Lansing Police Department

The teen could be heard yelling at the officer to stop hitting her, but she continued to hold the car door open with her foot, telling officers "no" when they told her to put her leg in the car.

"I ain't doing s---," the teen says as multiple people on the street admonish the officers for how they handled the situation.

Once the officers finally close the door, Ueberroth starts the car and drives away as the teen cries in the backseat.

The 15-year-old male was also captured and returned to the youth center, Yankowski said. He did damage to another patrol car by kicking it, Yankowski added.

Officers are permitted to use force that is "objectively reasonable," and this case will be thoroughly reviewed, Yankowski said.

Ueberroth has been with the department for six months and Howley has been with the department for a year, police said in a press release. They have been placed on administrative leave as the department conducts the internal investigation.

The girl was not injured in the incident and did not require medical attention when she returned to the youth center, according to the police chief.

Both officers suffered minor scrapes and cuts and one of the officers strained a hand, Yankowski said.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Miami-Dade County Department Of Corrections(MIAMI) -- A Miami Beach woman was arrested on Saturday for jabbing at and stomping on a sea turtle nest.

Yaqun Lu, 41, crossed into an area of the beach that was cordoned off by wooden stakes and tape to protect the nest and began digging at it with one of the stakes, police told Miami ABC affiliate WPLG.

She then began "jabbing at a sea turtle nest and stomping all over the nest," the Miami Beach Police Department said.

Lu was arrested and has been charged with harassing/molesting a marine turtle or eggs, according to jail records. The crime is a third-degree felony in Florida and she could face a hefty fine if found guilty.

She is being held on $5,000 bond.

Lu is a Chinese national, but lives in Michigan, according to WPLG.

Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission officials inspected the nest and said the eggs were not damaged in the odd outburst.

Sea turtles, depending on the species, are listed as either endangered or threatened and are protected by the federal Endangered Species Act of 1973 and Florida's Marine Turtle Protection Act. Anyone who handles sea turtles or their eggs, such as for scientific or educational purposes, must be licensed by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission.

Loggerhead, green and leatherback marine turtles all lay eggs on Miami Beach, according to the city.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(DALLAS) -- A Texas police officer died after suffering a medical emergency, falling and seriously injuring his head Friday. The news, released Saturday afternoon, was a shocking turn from what authorities initially said was suspected to be a fatal shooting of a uniformed officer.

Sgt. Keith Shepherd, of the Tarrant County Sheriff's Office, was found dead in his police vehicle at a downtown Fort Worth parking garage at about 9 p.m. local time on Friday. The garage was located just across the street from Tarrant County Jail, where Shepherd worked, and the sheriff's office. Police said at the time he was found that it was reported as a shooting by the first people on scene.

By Saturday, officials said Shepherd was outside of his vehicle when he suffered a medical emergency and injured his head when he fell to the ground. However, he was apparently able to pull himself into his car before he died.

The medical examiner said Shepherd's cause of death was a pulmonary embolism, a blood clot in his lungs.

"What I know about Keith is that he had a great reputation at the Tarrant County Sheriff's Office," Tarrant County Sheriff Bill Waybourn said at a press conference Saturday. "He was a strong leader. He was loved. He was a great husband and a good father."

The amount of blood both inside and outside of Shepherd's car led to the original belief he had been shot, Waybourn said.

Shepherd had gone to lunch Friday and never returned, according to the sheriff.

"He was found in his vehicle with blood outside the vehicle and blood inside the vehicle," Waybourn said. "And nobody knows what happened there. And the officers that found him immediately began to do emergency medical procedures on him."

He was pronounced dead at Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital in Fort Worth.

Shepherd was a 19-year veteran of the force.

"We lost one of our own last night," Tarrant County Sheriff's Office said on Twitter. "Sgt. Keith Shepherd dedicated his life to standing between evil and good. He was a 19yr veteran of our Detention Bureau and will always be a part of our family. Please pray for his family as they struggle with this loss and for the TCSO."

Shepherd is one of two police officers in Tarrant County who died suddenly on Friday.

Caleb Rainey, 25, of the North Richland Hills Police Department, died from an unspecified illness, according to the department. They also sent their condolences to Shepherd.

"As we mourn the loss of one of our own, we learn of another hero down," North Richland Hills police said on Twitter. "Sgt. Shepherd, your legacy of dedication to your community won’t be forgotten."

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Jason Bean-Pool/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- Just days ahead of the 25th anniversary of his arrest on charges he murdered his ex-wife and her friend, O.J. Simpson has launched a Twitter account and says he’s "got a little getting even to do."

The inaugural post of the 71-year-old NFL Hall of Famer, who was famously acquitted of the murder charges in the "Trial of the Century" only to be sent to prison a decade later over a botched robbery, was a shaky video titled “Coming soon,” in which he sports a blue sweater and a bright smile with palm trees visible in the background. By Saturday evening, the video had been viewed almost 5 million times.

"Hey Twitter world, this is yours truly. Coming soon to Twitter, you'll get to read all my thoughts and opinions on just about everything," said Simpson. His account @TherealOJ32, has already amassed nearly 250k followers in just 24 hours.

"It should be a lot of fun. I've got a little getting even to do," he said.

A quarter-century after Simpson’s ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend, Ron Goldman, were found dead, and Simpson’s subsequent acquittal, Simpson remains an object of enormous fascination.

In September 2007, Simpson led a group of men into a Las Vegas hotel and casino to steal what he claims was his own sports memorabilia at gunpoint. Simpson was charged with a number of felony counts, including kidnapping and armed robbery.

In 2008, Simpson was found guilty in the botched robbery and sentenced to up to 33 years in prison. In July 2017, Simpson was granted parole, and that October was released from the Lovelock Correctional Institute in Nevada.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock(COLUMBUS, Ohio) -- The Father's Day weekend will be a wet one for a large portion of the eastern half of the country.

The radar on Saturday morning shows a couple areas of storms from the Plains through the Midwest and into parts of the interior Northeast. Storms are occasionally turning severe in parts of Kansas and northern Oklahoma, where wind gusts over 60 mph, along with some hail, will remain.

The storms are primarily being driven by disturbances slowly moving northeast across the central U.S. this weekend. The first round of severe weather Saturday mainly exists across parts of the Midwest from Kansas to Indiana.

Then, later in the day, as another disturbance forms in the southern High Plains, more storms will form across the Texas and Oklahoma Panhandle, as well as extreme southern Kansas. In all cases, the main threat for severe weather will include damaging winds and large hail. Brief tornadoes are possible across parts of the Midwest, but remain fairly unlikely.

Storms developing across the interior Northeast are unlikely to be severe, but some of the storms could produce an occasional strong wind gust.

On Sunday, the severe threat will slide into parts of central Oklahoma and northern Texas, including Oklahoma City and Texas (Wichita Falls and Abilene). Once again, the main threat will be damaging winds and large hail. Brief tornadoes are possible, but remain fairly unlikely.

The disturbances that are forming in this region of the country are due to cooler and drier Canadian air clashing with the warmer Gulf moisture in the central and eastern U.S. Stubborn high pressure is steering these storms from Texas to Maine through the next several days.

Unfortunately, this weather pattern will result in rounds of storms across the Plains and Midwest. Due to the slow-moving nature of the pattern for a few days, there is increasing potential for flash flooding. The first area of concern will be along Interstate 40 from Missouri to Pennsylvania, including areas like Indianapolis and Columbus, Ohio. Locally, over 4 inches of rain are possible through the weekend.

Then, rounds of storms will move across parts of the southern U.S., including areas of Oklahoma, Texas and Arkansas, beginning on Sunday and lasting into part of next week.

Parts of the South, especially Oklahoma and Arkansas, have had a very challenging spring so far. Little Rock, Arkansas, for example, has received 11.42 inches more rain than average so far in 2019. Tulsa, Oklahoma, also has received over 11 inches of rain more than average. Many waterways in parts of this region have just receded from the flood stage due to the very wet spring in the last week.

Given that, the ground remains quite saturated and with more copious amounts of rain headed for the area, flooding looks to remain a concern for the region.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock (CHARLESTON, S.C.) -- Monday marks the fourth anniversary of the shooting at the Emanuel A.M.E. Church in Charleston, South Carolina.
Nine black people were shot dead at a bible study by a racist gunman hoping to start a race war.

After the terrible tragedy, some of the victim's family members tried to apply their faith quickly in extraordinary ways, according the church's pastor Rev. Eric Manning, who told ABC News that he saw the strength in families’ right after the shooting.

During the shooter’s bond hearing which occurred days after the shooting, a family member told the shooter she forgave him.

"We have not seen that level of forgiveness so quickly. Usually, of course, it takes some people some time, and I said before some members of Mother Emmanuel have not even gotten there yet,” Manning told ABC News in an exclusive interview.

Manning, as well as those affected by two other mass shootings at American houses of worship, sat down with ABC News while they were in the nation's capital.

At a briefing last month, an FBI counterterrorism official said the bureau is seeing an increase in "people who advocate for the supremacy of the white race." Since the Pittsburgh shooting, where the gunman allegedly shouted anti-Semitic threats as he killed worshipers, the bureau has seen a 30% increase involving these types of cases. The FBI tracks hate crimes, and religion is one of the primary categories. People of faith were targeted in nearly 21% of cases in 2017, according to the FBI.

These leaders came to Washington, D.C., to speak at the National Cathedral with religious leaders in the city about how to prepare their own congregations for a targeted attack and how to rebuild afterward. The event was organized by the city's Homeland Security and Emergency Management Agency.

Allan Hausman, the vice president of the Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh, where 11 people were killed in October 2018, told ABC News that "people are scared right now" and every similar shooting reopens old wounds.

"It essentially just opens the wounds again. It's really, really hard to see your folks almost reliving the entire event right when they were getting to a point where they were beginning to learn how to deal with it," he said.

Sadly, these congregations still receive threats frequently and felt the need to beef up security in their houses of worship.

Frank Pomeroy, the pastor at the First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, Texas, said their congregation constantly gets threats from conspiracy theorists who personally attack him and say the shooting was an effort to take away guns. Some even theorize about his daughter Annabelle, one of 26 churchgoers who were killed in November 2017.

"I have been told by some that Annabel never existed. And by some [that] I've human trafficked her away," Pomeroy said.

Some threats allegedly came from Jodie Mann and Robert Ussery, who prosecutors say go by the names Conspiracy Granny and Side Thorn. Both are now facing federal gun charges and county trespassing charges.

The threats have led to a financial cost, Manning said, "So it comes out of our tithing offerings and as part of the operating costs of the church."

"We have security protocol that details what to do when we receive emails that are threatening," Manning continued.

But with all the pain and challenges, the worship leaders have been struck by the resilience of their congregations.

"How do you heal? You watch others that inspire you. I watch Jenni, who had her 18-month-old baby in her arms and lost her and her husband, and I see she gets up every day," Frank Pomeroy's wife, Sherri Pomeroy, said.

"How can I disappoint Jenni and not get up and heal? I can just honor those that have gone ahead by walking in their footsteps," she said.

And through that forgiveness comes hope.

"If we stop spreading hope, then we let evil win," Sherri Pomeroy said.

"If you choose hope and mercy and grace over pessimism and hate and divisiveness," Frank Pomeroy added, "you're going to heal and you're going to be able to move forward."

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock(CORONA, Calif.) -- One person was killed and two others critically injured after an off-duty police officer opened fire inside a southern California Costco Friday night, police said.

The shooting took place after an argument and was not an active shooter situation, a Corona Police spokesperson told reporters at a press conference.

The police officer was assaulted "without provocation" while he was holding his young child by a 32-year-old man at the store, according to police. The off-duty officer pulled out a gun and opened fire, striking the individual -- who the officer did not know -- and two members of the suspect's family.

The man who was fatally shot was identified as Kenneth French, from Riverside, California. Two of his family members are in critical condition, according to police. Police did not release further details about the ages or genders of those injured.

At 7:46 p.m. local time Friday, Corona police officers arrived at the Costco Wholesale club in Corona, which is about 50 miles outside of Los Angeles.

"Upon entering Costco, officers located four injured people on the floor. One subject succumbed to their injuries at the scene and three other subjects, including an off duty officer from another agency, were transported to local hospitals in unknown conditions," Tobias Kouroubacalis, public information officer for the Corona Police, wrote in a statement to ABC News soon after the incident.

The Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) confirmed that one of its Southwest Division patrol officers fired his gun and was also injured while at the Costco off-duty. He is not detained or under arrest.

"Our officer suffered minor injuries in the incident and was transported to a local hospital where he was treated and released," the LAPD said in a statement. "The Department has initiated an Administrative Investigation and is working with the Corona Police Department to learn more about the incident."

No one else fired a weapon in the incident, police said, "contrary to earlier reports."

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.